28 July, 2009

The New DUN Building

This is where it all started. Bintulu - on the 8th of September 1867. Well, having checked today's calendar it is almost 149 years come September this year.
I have written a fair bit about the circumstances around the first meeting in another blog here. Of course the old building was a tiny building but was symbolic of the power of the Brooke's especially if you get to fly your flag over it. ( Note: The wooden structure in the picture is not the Bintulu fort . The news cutting says that the monument indicates only the site of the Bintlu old fort where the first meeting was held).
I would imagine the old fort of Bintulu had the barest of essentials but the most important item would no doubt be the canons. Things have changed. Today a new building has emerged at the bend of the river where the Kuching Waterfront is. It's the final resting place of the State Legislative Assembly referred to locally as the Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN) . I guess I will not want to see another building overtake it in my life time. I say this because in my lifetime I have seen the Council Negeri building or DUN shift places at least three times.
DUN - 27 July,2009
The new Dewan Undangan Negeri ( DUN) building was built around a 4 years period starting in 2005. However since my travels up and down to Kuching started two years ago, I could only show the later progress of the building construction as indicated below:

DUN - 18 October, 2008


DUN - 4 October, 2007










No comments:

Post a Comment